10/1/10

My FIRST Baby Gift (came from a blogger buddy!)

So, I have been dreading the registry. I don't know why exactly but a couple of reasons come to mind. I'm still in the danger zone (27 weeks) and maybe I just don't want to seem silly if catastrophe happens. But that's really the minor point. I'm a freak! I hate Ba.bi.e.sR.Us and baby departments in general. It's overwhelming to me - sensory overload, I think.

I've changed all of the toilets in my house by myself - no problem. Sinks, tiling, laminate "wood" flooring - done, done and done. I took care of my mom while she died of cancer - hard as hell, but I did it. And I've given myself hundreds of sub-q and intramuscular needles throughout the IVF process. I'm independent and I guess I realized recently that I really like being "in control" and able to take care of myself. But when I walk into baby mega store, I feel like I'm on the moon, building an eco-friendly human habitat with no scientific experience. I get a pang of anxiety and, really, I just want to leave and avoid the whole thing.

Well, some friends have been hounding me about doing the registry for an office shower and a shower from my small group of personal girlfriends. I confessed to two of my friends that I just had trouble with the store and they eagerly volunteered to come with me - and make it a girl's afternoon. So we did - two Saturdays ago.

And what did the UPS man bring to my door? A huge box and a little box. Hmm...I hadn't ordered anything, so I was wondering...What did I find when I opened it? My changing pad and the softest cover - both from my registry. From my family? Nope. From my closest girlfriends IRL? No. My very first baby gift EVER came from Me - someone who's come to my rescue (with a little help from her mister) before and been so kind to me. I loved meeting her in Denver during our coinciding trips and just talking. She's the kind of person I generally gravitate to - honest (even brutally so, which I adore), kind, highly intelligent and the kind of person you know instantly is all substance and zero bullshit - all the things I find comforting and refreshing.

So...Me...I thank you and thank you some more for being so generous and doing such a sweet thing. I'm not a highly sensitive person but - hormones, ya know - I welled up when I saw your name on the paperwork. And please remember that when you're in central NJ for a business trip, we're meeting up for a couple of drinks on me!

This IF blogging community has been such a positive experience for me. :)

7 comments:

Paige said...

Put those anti-gravity boots on sister. You're building that habitat and it's going to be great. So sweet to get a gift delivered from the blogosphere. Enjoy!

Me said...

I confess to registry stalking you for several weeks. And I figured these are things that are nice to have for the room sooner than later!

BTW - you are too kind to me. And for the record, you are a helluva a woman yourself. I'm in awe of your strength and independance. You are the kind of woman I aspire to be. Truly. You are going to be an amazing parent!

lastchanceivf said...

Yay for gifts!! You're getting closer!!

Lorraine said...

I actually didn't go to a BRU until my little guy was about 4 months old - I really just couldn't face it, even WITH a baby. I did all of my research online and did an Amazon wish list, which lets you add things from other sites, too. If you end up wanting things from the non-BRU realm, it's super-convenient.

Glad you're getting things ready now! It seems like forever but then suddenly time is flying by!

Waiting In Sunshine said...

(loss men'td) First time poster here! Very excited for you, and I hear you about BRU and BBB. We are pg with twins via a surrogate, due in January and are waaaay too cautious to go anywhere near a baby store after a terrible loss and 11 IVFs, so I hear you! But I know it's a necessity, and to be honest, I am excited to actually do something normal people do. But I'll wait, as well. And congrats on getting your first gift! I also read ME's blog - she's great!

Miss Tori said...

Hey Sky, I hope you are doing well. I know you're not updating lots, but I do keep you in my thoughts. Post a belly pic if you can! Take care and post soon.

M said...

yeah for gifts and cyberspace! I am reading your blog. My FSH is 16 and I am in my 30s I have been freaking out and just completed my first IVF cycle today with an ET. I hope and pray it works out, but I am nervous to say the least. I'll be reading! Feel free to read mine as well!