8/22/10

21 weeks and a rainy Sunday in NJ

I love this weather (not every day for months, of course, but once in a while - it's wonderful). Been hanging out with the cutest, cuddliest and sweetest kids on earth - my furbabies. My little girl (Pekingese), who adores me but is true to her aloof natured breed, trotted over a while ago and wanted me to put her on the couch next to me because she's scared of the thunder. Now she's sleeping peacefully pressed up against me. I just love it. :)

Let's see, what's new on the pregnancy front....

I feel the baby move, which is weird and such an unfamiliar feeling but it does remind me the baby's alive - so that's the good part.

I've had those Braxon Hicks contractions. My first was around 14 weeks. It's always happened at night or as I wake. My stomach becomes as hard as a rock and I wonder what the hell's going to happen to me. Then I'll move and it subsides. No pain - just a rock hard ball in my stomach.

All the tests that have come back beautiful:
-Cervical length check at 17 weeks (4.3)
-Amnio (all normal)
-Twenty week ultrasound - perfect

The pre-eclampsia related tests (2 weeks ago) - all perfect:
-24 hour urine (normal)
-platelets (190K)
-liver enzymes "look great," per doctor
-uterine arteries recorded good blood flow during 20 week u/s

Blood pressure monitoring at home twice/day. Pretty good. Usually in the 120/70 range (give or take a few points). Faxed to high risk OB every week and he's happy.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the next 10 weeks goes by without incident. Need to reach 32 weeks and then my chances are much better of coming home with a live and healthy baby.

Nursery - nada, nothing, zero. Haven't done a thing. Can I just say how counterproductive it is NOT to know the gender of the baby you're carrying? I can't get encouraged about buying a rug or even registering. 90% of what's available is designated girl or boy. Very little is neutral. And most "neutral" items lean boy as you can find many items with some hints of blue while being "neutral" but no items of pink or orange are in the "neutral" zone.

Ugh! I don't know...maybe I should just find out. Would sure make planning easier.

What do you all think? What would you do in my shoes at 21 weeks (knowing gender knowledge is literally a phone call away via amnio result readout)?

9 comments:

lastchanceivf said...

I think I'd want to know! Surprises are great but I'm a planner and it sounds like maybe you are holding back a bit on some of the fun stuff you've been dreaming of because you don't know...

All the other news sounds GREAT!!!

Retro Girl said...

Sky! I'm back in the blog world tonight. First of all, I'm so thrilled for you and so glad that things are looking so good.

I have to tell you my experience about not finding out the sex of our baby ahead of time. I typically HATE surprises...all kinds. Hate them. But being surprised about the sex of our baby was one of the best moments of my life. Maybe it was because I was SOO convinced it was a boy, and then, bam, a girl? I'm not sure why. I just know it was one of my best moments.

As for the decorating stuff - I hear ya. The stores really have limited gender neutral stuff. But in a way, I found it fun to try to really think outside of the box to come up with a gender neutral room. People thought I was NUTS to do black, white, and red...but once they saw it, most loved it. And most importantly, my little Emmeline loves it. I don't know if Oliver would have loved it ;-) (our designated boy name...the one we were convinced that we would be using! ;-)).

Can't wait to read the continued updates!

Anonymous said...

Why not find out?

Q: why did you have pre-emclampsia bloodwork etc. done so early? Are you are special risk (high bp?)? I am a little farther along than you, considered high risk, about your age, seeing perinatal spec., etc., yet no one has mentioned having these tests done. I thought they worry about that later.

Paige said...

Congrats on all the great test results...I know each one had to be a bit of a load off your mind. Personally I would want to know boy or girl but you've commited this far to not knowing and I think you should go all the way with it. Very soon you'll see something that will inspire your nursery, the perfect quilt, picture, rug....whatever. You'll know when you see it.

Sue said...

Glad to hear all is well! I like the idea of not finding out the baby's sex but then knowing that the results are that easy...not sure what to think. I'd probably have to find out because it would annoy me that my doctor knows and I don't! Plus, it can be hard to decorate and buy clothes and stuff...not sure. It is a personal thing, I think.

Michelle D said...

If you are a major planner and you feel unrest not knowing the sex then maybe it would be good to find out. If not then as far as nursery and bedding there are lots of patterns online to make your own or have someone sew/make it for you if possible(whatever neutral color you like) or you could try Ebay or some other online site for neutral stuff. I know it's tough to find them. One friend of mine had a jungle / noah's ark type theme for their "mystery" baby. Good luck with what you decide.

kayjay said...

I found out - I couldn't wait. I'm not very patient that way and I am a total planner so it really helped me to have the knowledge so we could start moving forward with stuff. Like buying clothes, setting up the nursery - practical stuff that I'm glad I got out of the way before the babies were born because let me tell you, it became totally overwhelming after they were born. Do it! Find out!! But that's just me...

Miss Tori said...

I always have said I want to wait until the birth to find out what I'm having. It will just take a bit more imagination to decorate the nursery. You can do it! :)

Kami said...

I enjoyed not knowing. Since we have a small house and planned on co-sleeping so we didn't fix up a nursery. We got a few gender neutral outfits, some diapers and baby blankets and called it good. We never needed a crib or anything.

My sister found out the sex with her second kid and not the first and she wishes she hadn't.

Still, a lot of people like finding out early and it is definitely harder to shop / fix things up after the kid is born though it gets easier after a few months.

I say do what will be the most fun.