12/6/09

No one asks




How is it a green eyed woman and a green eyed man wound up with a bunch of brown eyed children? Honestly, HOW does that happen?

Is it theoretically possible? Umm...yeap. Is it theoretically possible that To.m Br.a.dy and Gi.se.le Bu.nd.chen will produce a baby that looks like the one Wi.ll Sm.ith and Ja.da Pi.nke.tt have? I guess. But not bloody likely!

So how is it that J.on & K.at.e wound up with eight children sporting dark brown eyes? I'm no geneticist and I welcome education in this department - but I don't think the odds are in favor of this outcome even once, never mind 8 times. And since none of these children are the product of an egg split, we really are talking about EIGHT times!

Naturally, the question you're asking is "well, what are you wondering Sky, if K.at.e had an affair?" Nope. But I do think it's so fortunate that it was apparently Ka.te with the infertility issue (PCOS, she has said). Because if they'd ever needed a sperm donor, tell me what their chances were of finding a green-eyed Asian donor. Seriously, tell me. I'd say it's less likely than a blue eyed African American. That would have sucked and left them with a choice of either a brown-eyed Asian man or a green-eyed non-Asian man. The kids would be either light eyed and non Asian looking (which would make it reeeeealy obvious) or Asian looking with brown eyes, which they are.

I suppose this means J.on & K.at.e repeated the statistically improbable event of having eight children in a row with dark brown eyes.

Some odds, eh?

7 comments:

onwardandsideways said...

Well actually... brown eyes are dominant. Jon looks at least half Asian, so his parents and siblings are probably at least 50% brown-eyes. Kate could easily have brown eyes on her side. My guess is that they do. I was looking at an eye color predictor thing the other day. DH has blue and brown, I have all blue on my side. Guess what our chances would have been of having brown-eyes babes? More than 50%. I recalculated with the donors info (they ask for mother's eyes, father's eyes, grandparent's eyes and sibling's eyes) and it came back even higher as she's got mostly brown.

So... it could easily have happened with them. Brown is king when it comes to eye color.

Miss Tori said...

Hmm, not sure, but both my mom and dad are blue eyed, and only my older sister has blue eyes. Me, my younger sister and my brother all have hazel eyes. Go figure.

Hey, I've left something for you on my blog, my friend.

Anonymous said...

The other thing you don't mention is that all of the kids look more Asian than Jon! Jon clearly looks mixed but the children, especially the boys, look 100% Asian. So, it's not just a factor of your parents but also their ancestors that goes into someone's genetic composition.

Anonymous said...

im pretty sure i saw somewhere that he wears contacts.

Sky said...

I thought of that but really doubt they're contacts - otherwise, they're amazing! I'll take a pair!

But if they are contacts, I take it all back, absolutely!

Miss Tori said...

I was wondering too if he wears contacts. His eyes look awfully bright for being a natural color.

sarah said...

Maybe he wears colored contacts! He's sucha poser, why not? Ok, I'll reel in my judgement...