11/30/08

The genetic offspring of my sperm donor

I've posted about how committed to my sperm donor I am. In fact, I'm so committed that when CCRM raised an issue about me using a CMV+ donor (I'm CMV-), my heart sank. I knew I would not proceed with CCRM if they didn't allow me to use him (and more because the basis for asking me to use a CMV negative donor is extremely weak).

It's weird. I used a different donor for my IVF (turned IUI cycle, which failed) last March and I really liked him. Good pictures, intelligent (physician), reported pregnancies, great voice (Fairfax has audio records) and I loved what he had to say - I could tell, conversationally, that he was bright. But I felt no overwhelming tug towards him. In fact, when that cycle failed and I was offered a donor embryo cycle, I jumped at it (the donor embryo came from an anonymous donor egg and father sperm but I had little information on father - lots on egg donor).

But once I found this guy - I don't know....I guess after the interview I heard and his educational background, his interests, values, I was as sure as anyone could be that this is someone I would have chosen in my life as a mate and to father my child. Kooky, I know.

So I went onto the donor sibling registry a couple of months back and found a couple of people who used him. One woman (a SMC, like me) was nice enough to send me a picture of her son and reports that her son is "smart, happy and easily soothes" and what a beauty!

It only confirmed I'd made an excellent choice!

3 comments:

Jill said...

CCRM is very strict about everything they do. Hope you can find another donor of interest to you.

Lorraine said...

What a focussed gaze! I actually love that kind of serious baby look. I think it makes a huge difference to feel as if you have a connection to the donor - and it's amazing to have the registry, too!

Sky said...

Jill, good news - I don't need to find another donor. CCRM agreed to let me use my CMV+ donor as long as I sign a waiver, which I will do.

Apparently this comes up quite a bit as married couples often have a different CMV status. So what would they do, ask the CMV negative women NOT to use the sperm of their CMV positive husbands?

As long as the sperm donor (whether the father or anonymous) does not have active infection, CMV antibodies is like having Rubella antibodies - you don't have active infection but will have the antibodies to the vaccine (or illness) for life.

But okay, the most important part is that CCRM is perfectly fine with me using my donor.

Woo Hoo!

BTW, I have come to love the nurses at CCRM wildly. They're smart, responsive and really on top of things. I'll bet you've had a very similar experience (even though our nursing teams are different - IVF vs. donor egg)