2/14/09

Bermuda Quandary

My good friend R called last Thursday. She wants to go on a free-style cruise in early October (NY to Bermuda). I would LOVE to go. But I’m left counting back weeks and wondering if I’ll be too far along for a cruise at that point.

I’ve tried to figure that if I were matched a month from today, a transfer wouldn’t come for 2 months after that – putting me at around 24 weeks when the cruise happens. Seems that’s the point when they don’t want you to travel and if I were having a high-risk pregnancy or any issues whatsoever, I simply wouldn’t go (baby is #1 priority for me, hands down!).

But I fantasize about waddling onto the cruise ship with a big belly, white Capri pants and a cute maternity top. I know, you’re all wondering why I’m so confident I’ll even get pregnant and the only thing I can say about that is that, because I’m a practical girl (a girl of numbers and odds and stats and probabilities), I know what the stats for DE – they’re excellent. The stats for DE with CCRM are even better than that. Short of a guarantee, the odds are beautiful (I wish all ART had those odds, truthfully!).

So, headline is a lie – no quandary. I said yes! Woo Hoo! I made a plan, an actual plan for my future without fertility treatments standing in my way. I hope it works out, I really do. Like we all do, I deserve some success and happiness.

Oh and here’s what I hope will be a great coincidence. My friend’s daughter is 33 and recently married and wants to go on cruise with spouse. She intends to begin “trying” for a child in March. It would be icing on the cake for us to both be equally pregnant. Now I’m just asking for too much, I know. ;)

Update on cycle. Thursday was CD15 and I had my endo biopsy mock cycle cooter cam and blood work. CCRM called with results: lining was 10mm but estrogen was low at 188 (they’re looking for around 350 at this juncture). They said they’d incorporate estrace in my real cycle in addition to the Vivelle patches, though the lining looks good. Then I began prometrium yesterday (3x/day – YUK!) and stay on the patches for another 9 days which brings me to the endo biopsy on 2/23. As late as it is in the cycle, I have been assured repeatedly that it’s correct and given in my FET last summer, the embryos were transferred on CD24 (one day earlier than when this endo biopsy is being done), I have to agree it sounds right. The beta 3 integrin needs to be there for implantation, which would be, in fact, around CD25.

Then I have my annual pap on March 4th (doctor rescheduled earlier appointment). When I get those results, I’ll fax them over to CCRM for my file. I don’t think it’ll ever stop being annoying how diligent I am to have everything done perfectly and on-time, without a delay on my part whatsoever and to still sit and wait.
I had an ad meeting in the city yesterday at 8 AM (ouch!) and felt the effects of the prometrium. It's awful. My vision gets cloudy and strained and the most intense exhaustion comes over me. Bad stuff. I emailed my nurse and she said to use the prometrium vaginally again. I really thought that would be a problem since I'll have the endo biopsy in a week (and we wouldn't want any of that gunk in my vagina and potentially entering the uterus for the biopsy. I think I'm going to try to set my alarm for 5 AM so I can have the prometrium, sleep for 2 hours and let the worst effects out of my system before I'm in the office.

So on the bus ride home, my nurse called. I got so excited wondering, Is this a match talk? I mean, why else would she make an unsolicited call to me? No. It was just to make sure I was feeling better, which I was. That was nice.
But I'm still waiting (and getting no younger, you know?)..........

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

And a very Happy Valentine's Day to all!

8 comments:

Retro Girl said...

I'm glad you said "yes" to the cruise. For a while, Alex and I were trying to come up with the "perfect" time to do the FET, based on it being successful, what that would mean in terms of work, vacations we wanted to plan, etc.. Then we just decided that we would make our plans as usual for the year and if it does work, what great "problems" to have, right?

Hope the "match" call comes soon!

Sue said...

Yay for Bermuda! Hey, you might as well plan for it. I have a wedding in Mexico set in July that I am actually a bridesmaid for. We are praying that I can't actually go (b/c I'll be in the first trimester) - but my SIL really understands and still wants me to plan on it (and hopes we won't make it). So, we just have to plan our lives as if we can do all this stuff, otherwise we'd go crazy. I hope you will be a baby bump in a bikini by then!

Oh and the planning drives me nuts too! BUT, on the bright side, when the slow pokes finally match you, you won't have to run around to get things done. Just take it easy and wait to go in for your transfer! It'll be great...can't wait to hear the news!

Anonymous said...

You're making great progress. Your lining measurement was great. And yes, they apparently can do things with the meds to get you where you need to be.

I think it's great you planned a future trip. Something else to think about other than DE.

Here's to more good news for you soon!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo glad you said YES to the cruise. You def. will be on board with cute maternity wear. I am going to follow your DE progress so closely. CCRM does have such high success rates with DE. I am wishing you the best.

Lost in Space said...

So glad to see you said "yes" to the cruise. We do far too much waiting and planning and denying potentially fun plans to accommodate all this stuff. Good for you!

It sounds like everything for your cycle is falling into place nicely. I hope your "match" call comes very soon!

Oh, and LOL about your peestick obsession. I have a couple spares I should send you. I think I've had them since at least IVF#1 a year ago!!

Josée Martens said...

I love the image of waddling onto the cruise ship in capri and mat. top. Too cute! I hope that call comes SOOON!!!!!

Jill said...

I'm so glad to hear you decided to go on the cruise! I think it's easy to put off vacations for fear of the imperfect timing, but glad you are doing it! Awesome!

Hoping your "match" call comes very soon!

Riley said...

I think that's awesome that you decided to go ahead with the cruise!! I need to be more like you. I'm also waiting to be matched and I just feel like my life is on hold. There's all these things that I want to do but not if I'm going to be in the middle of a cycle or if I'll be three-month's pregnant at the time. It's so frustrating because I can't seem to get any answers about timing out of my clinic. In the meantime, I think I need to be more like you and just go ahead and make plans and live my life until I finally get the phone call - then I can adjust as needed.