2/23/09

The Oscar for Awesome-Old-Hollywood-Glamour-Host goes to.....

The hot Hugh Jackman! (TSSSSSSS - that's the sound of sizzling! ;)

Not only was he hot, but he was VERY entertaining, never crass and so full of charm. I really enjoyed the show more last night than ever in the past that I can recall.

Now....much as I dig Hugh, it wasn't all to his credit.

I loved the set-up. The arched Swarovski crystal curtain created an illusion of a million, brilliant dancing stars. And yet it was so quaint in every way that's good about that word. The audience was practically on stage and the stage itself was small and intimate.

Being there must have felt like going to the most wonderful, elaborate, extravagant, big Hollywood night in the comfort of someone's gorgeously dressed living room.

And they changed it up. Low and behold, it's taken TOO MANY decades but they finally changed it up - and it wasn't all about staging either.

I imagine that being recognized by your mentors and peers must be thrilling enough but when 5 former winners of the category for which you're nominated walk onto the stage to specifically acclaim your work and sing your praises before announcing the winner, it must heighten the intensity even more. Again, a perfect example of a format change that created warmth and intimacy without compromising grandeur, even remotely.

Now for the gossip....YUMMY!

Just read on Davila's that Nicole Ritchie is pregnant again. Sometimes I think rehab is a pre-requisite for ever getting pregnant (I'm screwed!).

Angelina & Jennifer. Wow! This is one way in which the quaintness of the theater was a bad thing. For those of you who didn't watch, Angelina and Brad sat dead center, front row and the podium at the stage was probably 6 feet away and 4 feet off the ground. I'm just saying that when Jennifer was presenting Best Animation films at the podium with Jack Black, she could hear Angelina breathe. And I did chuckle that the only possible award Jennifer could have announced (without having to choke on her words) was for the category that she did. Otherwise, what possible category didn't include the films Benjamin Button or the Changeling? Ouch!

And I sat there thinking, OMG, if Angelina won Best Actress for Changeling and, somehow, Jennifer Aniston did a movie this year that deviated from her normal light, chick flick (which I love, BTW) that was actually worthy of a nomination, her name would flow from the full lips of Angelina at next year's Oscar ceremony. C'mon, it's a little mean, but that show's ratings would have tripled that of American Idol finale's and the most intense Super Bowls. And, hey, maybe Jenn would have won, walked on stage and socked it to her. I love Angelina but I don't condone going after a married man - and when you're one of the most beautiful, sought-after and wanted women on earth with fame, power and wealth, it feels even less palatable. (now if married Hot Hugh wanted to roll in my hum-drum, little 'ole NJ bed with me for one night - well, maybe I could be forgiven ;)

Okay, that's all for now - I have a conference call right this minute to hop onto. I'm supposed to be working from home today 'cause I have the endo biopsy this afternoon and I can't believe I'm not on Xanax already - scared shitless!

Later girls!

5 comments:

Peeveme said...

Thinking of you. Hope all goes smoothly.

kayjay said...

GL with the biopsy! I hope it's not as bad as you think it's going to be.

BTW I was watching Jennifer like a hawk while she was presenting and she looked a little wary and her eyes kept on straying all over the place and I was wondering who she was looking at!!

Sue said...

Good luck on the biopsy today! I, too, am amazed you haven't yet popped the Xanax (I may have already in your shoes). You will do fine...and then you will get pregnant...and you will forget all about it!

I didn't see most of the Oscars, but I agree with you on the Jen/Angie thing...she can have any guy, why go for a married one? But, alas, I'm probably just jealous (though Brad has been creeping me out of late). I'm with you on Hot Hugh!

Nikki said...

Good luck with your biopsy.

Loved Hugh Jackman - he was so smooth and cool! And yes, poor Jennifer. She looked so conscious on the stage, didn't she?

Anonymous said...

Hope everything went well with your biopsy. I also had mine this afternoon. Popped a valium and a pain pill :) Thinking about you.

I am not surprised Nicole R. is preggers again. Have you ever checked out pinkisthenewblog.com?