2/23/09

Endometrial Biopsy

People say I exaggerate but when prodded, they agree I don't actually embellish a story but that I tell it in such painstaking detail that it creates drama and that, in itself, creates an unintentional illusion of something that didn't occur.

Just after my earlier post today, around noon, I took my antibiotics and 2 Advils to prepare for my endo biopsy and the torture I would endure at precisely 2:30 PM ET. At 1:15 PM I took 2 Midols and was looking for my Xanax. I was out. A little concern set in but I rustled through some old(er) pill bottles in the kitchen and, Voila, Ativan (good as Xanax). It was a script for my mom. Before she passed away from cancer 18 months ago, I brought her to live with me so I could care for her until she was gone. Cancer patients get drugs. I mean, they get ANYTHING they want, on order - as it should be! My mom could order Roxanol (liquid morphine) like you could order a pizza. No questions asked. And, trust me, having the heavy hitting meds in my home was such a blessing when the pain was great and the end was near. But after she was gone, the hospice nurse wanted to flush all of the meds down the sink (pills, liquids, patches - everything!). And I'm so anti-drug ('cause they make me terribly nauseous and are worse than the pain), that I was not only perfectly fine with her dumping/trashing it all, I helped her. Actually, the one thing I would not allow her to toss was 2 bottles of Tarceva. It's an oral cancer drug that's shown some promise and costs about $3,500 for a one month supply. My mother's Oncology center already said they'd happily take them (they're branded, hard capsules) to donate to a patient who did not have the funds and I would not let her flush 7K of life-saving meds for another person down the toilet.

But today . . . today I was kicking myself, Why didn't you just keep a little bit of that liquid morphine for this occasion? You idiot! Now you're going to pass out at the GYN's office from the poker stabbing pain to your uterus. He said it was going to "hurt like hell." But the Roxanol was gone.

So at 1:15 PM, I took 1 Ativan with those 2 Midols and left for the doctor's. I walked in 30 minutes early and chased down 2 more Advils with a bottle of Poland Springs. Not 2 minutes later I was called in.

My eyes were big as saucers when I saw this really long scissor/tweezer contraption and other things I decided it was best to look away from. I started to feel really woozy from the Ativan and gave the "I'm ready" when he knocked. Dr. M is truly such a nice guy who is a knowledgeable and well respected Gyn surgeon. Good package for a doc. And he explains every single thing he's going to do in slow, detailed steps. I like that VERY MUCH. It's the same reason I like to POAS from 1dp5dt forward (yeah, you read that right!) - surprises are ONLY appreciated by me when they're good ones. Otherwise, please don't surprise me - I like to know what's going to happen every step of the way. This girl needs to plan (even if sometimes it messes with her head).

Feet in stirrups, I lied down and looked up at the mobile over the exam bed. There is one in every room. I imagine it's a relaxing way to focus on something else for the patient, and there was never a better time for me to focus on gliding sailboats.

Right after pulling my butt to the very edge of the table, "Okay, we'll be inserting the speculum now" and it was in. No biggie (that never bothers me anyway). "I'm going to numb your cervix a little so you might feel a tiny pinch and some burning." I felt it. It was no more or less painful than a Lupron shot (i.e., breeze). "Now I'm going to clamp open the cervix a bit." A second later, "ooh, okay" I said. It was a little crampy but just fine. "How are you doing Sky?" "I'm good, just really nervous." "Well you're doing great so far, just keep breathing slowly and deeply and focus on that." "Now I'm going to take the samples and we'll be done." I felt it right away, my uterus getting annoyed. "ohhhh-ohhh-ohhh-ohhh, whewwwww, whewwww." "That's right, keep breathing and let's count to ten." And he and I did it together as he took more swipes and it was done 2 seconds shorter than I thought.

If it was any easier, it would have been a pap. I'm not sure I even bled - though I ripped off the last of my Vivelle patches today and last Prometrium shot was midnight last night so I'll be getting a visit from the Red Sea soon - which should bring some relief to my enormous boobs that are in agony.

Would I volunteer to have another tomorrow? No. Would I do it again if I had to, ABSOFRIGGENLUTELY!

20 minutes ago, I constructed the package per instruction, and it's currently sitting in a outside FedEx mail-drop where I pray it won't be too cold (though it's freezing in NJ) and cause some issue with the specimen. But I can do only so much, you know? The way it is, I think it's going to be damned chilly on the FedEx jet as it heads for Memphis (FedEx distribution site) and then onto another jet bound for sunny California before they can pull out the vial of uterus pieces in solution, slip them under a microscope and tell me if I'll need Lupron treatment for 3 months prior to a transfer or not.

I'm SO glad I did the test, now more than ever.

My advice: Do any and every test you can have done IN ADVANCE of potentially blowing good money and embryos down the drain over something you could have easily solved for. As for endo biopsies - take 4 Advils, 2 Midols, 1 Xanax, ask your Gyn to numb your cervix and meditate as best you can. It's quick and, for me, ridiculously painless.

Thanks to each and every one of you fine ladies who helped encourage me and told me it would be okay. It's more than that. ;)

16 comments:

Sue said...

That's great!! I saw your blog post title on my page and took a breath before I went to visit you. Whew I feel better now too:-) Glad it wasn't nearly as bad as it sounded!

No one has suggested this for me, though I've wondered if I should do it. CCRM seems to say that since IVF worked so well last time, I have no uterus issues, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten pregnant so they don't recommend this for me...but maybe I'll ask anyway. I agree with you though that you should get all the tests possible before starting out so I'm not sure.

Nikki said...

I'm glad your biopsy went smoothly. Good luck with the results and the path forward from here.

A said...

AWESOME!!! So glad to hear there are no regrets.

Retro Girl said...

I am so happy that it went well for you...and I'm really happy you posted about your good experience.

I remember when I was a little freaked about the HSG (nothing compared to this, but what I can I say...I can be a little on the wimpy side :-)). I struggled to find anything positive about it online - only horror stories. I got myself so worked up over the horror stories that the anticipation was SO much worse than the actual procedure. I hope your positive post eases someone's mind.

You're on your way!

Jill M. said...

So glad to find your post as I'm off to do the endo biopsy now. Thanks for the details! =)

Sky said...

RetroGirl, it's funny b/c just before leaving for the procedure I found a reply on MedHelp of a Gyn saying that most women "don't find it terribly painful" but that the reality is that those who do are the one who feel motivated to tell the story while those who don't, get back to business and don't think about it (so they don't go out of their way to talk about it). So you're left with 99% reports being horrifying.

I can understand this. I have had about a dozen UTI's in my life, so painful that I immediately have to head for the ER and I am doubled-over and crying in pain with chunky/bloody urine (sorry for TMI) by the time the doc sees me. The last time (5+ years ago) at Princeton Medical, the doctor said "your bladder is in spasm, which is why you experience so much more pain than the average person."

And I've felt compelled to warn people how painful a UTI is when, for most women, it's "uncomfortable" but not like hot daggers in the abdomen and you want to scratch the tiles off the ceiling.

For my part, I will be reporting my positive endo biopsy experience often and if some part of the cocktail combo of meds and novocaine shot helped, women should know it! ;)

Josée Martens said...

I had the exact same experience. I think it is the lidocaine shot to the cervix. I am so glad it went well fo you

DAVs said...

I'm glad it went so well. I didn't do the biopsy--just took the depot lupron treatment anyways--but now wondering since nothing ended up working. I mean, would it help me to even know if I lack the integrin now? My head is too full of questions all the time.
Good luck with the results!

Sky said...

Davila, I think if you have unblocked fallopian tubes and a partner who produces sperm, I would absolutely do the endo biopsy just to make sure that, sans 3-months of Lupron, you do make the beta 3 integrin. Other than a little ouchy (in my case, less than that), it might give you peace of mind while TTC.

Just a thought.

And my head is always bursting with questions and contingency plans and wacky scenarios. I do TRY to reel myself in sometimes and remember that I actually cannot control the rotation of the earth, no matter how hard I try. ;)

Jill M. said...

Well, I turned out to be one of the unlucky ones that had a horrible experience. I just blogged about it. I was denied the lidocaine injection. I was told it would cause more pain than the procedure. But there is no way an injection could be worse than what I experienced. Seems the ladies that did get the injection had a walk in the park. I was hoping to post a positive experience, but couldn't.

So glad you did not have to experience the pain I did today. =)))

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am *so* glad it went okay for you... I remember mine as not being painful, so I was really surprised your doc said it would hurt like hell... but who cares, the good part is you got through it and you did great. Please pause for at least a minute and give yourself a hug and tell yourself how brave and strong you are. It's been really weighing on my mind lately how much those of us dealing with this have to go through. You rock, sister, seriously!

I hope the test results come out in your favor. Lupron is different for everyone, apparently. I'm finding it not that bad although the hot flashes are annoying.

Lost in Space said...

Hmmmmm, there was no cervix numbing for me or any instructions to take meds before hand. Mine was one of the most painful procedures I have had to date. I so wish I could have ready about your experience beforehand just to prepare. I hope it helps others about to go through this......

Sue said...

Sky - just wanted to warn you that I tagged you in my post today!

kayjay said...

I'm so glad that you didn't suffer during the biopsy. GL - I hope you get good results.

P.S. I tagged you in my post today!

Kami said...

I'm glad it was such a breeze! I had the cervix numbing shot for a d&c and it was the worst part for me. Like a needle going all the way up my insides.

Hope you won't have to take Lupron for 3 months, but whatever is needed, right?

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!