3/13/09

Donor on Board! (and baby on board soon, I hope!)

I approved her! Was there any doubt? Well, yes, there was. I wasn't thrilled about her being 31. I mean, I imagined a 21 year old but I emailed my nurse a series of specific questions and her report was over-the-top satisfying. So here goes:

Donor's last cycle was 11/08.
She produced 41 eggs, 31 fertilized, 2 5-day blasts transferred and 14 5-day blasts frozen.
That recipient is 16 weeks pregnant with singleton.

She had only two cycles prior to that, and was told each recipient received a BFP on the fresh transfer with blasts to freeze. Then I asked if there were any miscarriages and was told this:

"Absolutely not. All proven in-house CCRM donors MUST result in a BFP with zero miscarriages(whether the donor's personal miscarriage or that of the recipient)."

This is what Dr. Surrey told me back in October during my work-up, but it was good to hear again.

Her FSH was 7.2 a year ago and they said they don't test women for AMH when their cycles are that good.

And her antral follicle count for her last November cycle was between 20-24.

Then there was what my nurse said about always feeling better about donors who aren't so young, as the older ones tend to be very responsible with medication schedules and that she's personally worked with this one and said she was wonderful to work with.

Ultimately, between all of that information and the fact that CCRM holds the #1 spot in the country, I felt good about approving her. Whew!

So....just picked up my BCPs for CD3 end of this month. The donor has a schedule conflict and can't begin her stim until June 1st - which is fine. I should get a schedule in the next week or so and egg retrieval should be around June 9th.

Wow! It's really happening!

Now for the sperm donor. Ugh! I'm no farther along on that front, but I want to thank you all for commenting and I thought long and hard about your thoughts - you can't imagine how helpful they were to me.

Nikki and Lorraine made an amazing blended point: it's just going to be the two of us (maybe another down the road) and children can be so hurtful sometimes. I thought about how I would feel to have a little baby with milky white skin, blond hair and blue eyes but I really never considered how the child would feel. I mean, since I love that look, it never occurred to me that our differences might make him/her feel out of place somehow or that there would be teasing questions from little kiddy friends. And that would crush me.

Then I started to laugh at what is likely to happen to me ('cause I'm a girl too familiar with Murphy's Law!). My best friend of over 20 years is Cuban (like me) and her hair and eyes are JET black. Her skin is olive. Her husband is also Cuban but with light brown hair and light brown eyes. Their first child, a girl, looks Swedish - white/blond hair, blue eyes and the fairest complexion. Their second child, a boy, has brown hair and eyes and looks . . . well . . . Cuban. Well, when her daughter was a baby, my friend would walk her in her stroller and people would stop her and ask all of the time if she was the nanny (Hispanic looking woman with a baby who looked like Shiloh Jolie-Pitt) - never mind that my friend is ridiculously wealthy and doesn't look like a nanny (no offense to Hispanic Nanny's intended here).

(note: for reference of what a typical white Cuban person looks like, think of Andy Garcia - he is the classic Cuban).

So what can I do? If the kid winds up looking just like the egg donor, I'll have to deal with it, and I certainly would. My hope is that my child would have dark hair, light eyes (my eyes are very light brown, my dad's were lt. mint green) and medium complexion. From an appearance standpoint, that would be terrific!

Right now, I'm down to 3 choices for sperm donors. The too-light Astrophysicist (PhD), a hottie-Spaniard Pharmacist (PhD) and a black-haired green eyed John Stamos look-alike (he's hot too). Say, can I hook up with that last one? ;)

I still have some time on the sperm donors so we'll see where I net out (and you'll be the first to know!). Thank you all again, from the bottom of my heart, for being so generous with your thoughts and comments. I truly do love to hear them!

17 comments:

Jill M. said...

I know that has to be such a relief checking the egg donor off the list! Good luck with the sperm donor, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Best of luck!

Lorraine said...

This is really happening! I am so excited for you!

kayjay said...

I am just catching up on everyone's post so first of all, congratulations on being matched!!! I am so very happy for you and now you have a plan with dates and are no longer sitting in limbo land. I cannot believe your donor produced 41 eggs in a single cycle - unreal!! As for your sperm donor debate, if you are really concerned about having the child look like you, you could go for the donors with the darker colouring. However, like one of the other people said before, you can always say that the child looks like their father. There must be some recessive/dominant gene explanation that would make sense! Good luck with your decision!!

DAVs said...

Those are some AMAZING donor stats. When I read that I realize just how pitiful my own numbers are/were...but I guess that's why these folks are fertile and I'm not. DUH.

Anyhow, I'm so glad you picked and that part is done! This is totally going to happen for you :)

Retro Girl said...

Sky! Congrats! You must be on cloud nine...I hope these month between now and June will be somewhat relaxing for you. Best of luck on the sperm donor choice...hmmm, sounds like all three have their definite positives :-).

As a side note - you're Cuban? Interesting, because I just had to give a huge presentation in my "Diversity and Family Therapy" on the Latino/Hispanic population in America. I learned so much. Do you get offended by the terms "Latino" or "Hispanic"? I read some articles that said many people do...and I can understand some of the reasons why. Just curious.

Sky said...

RetroGirl - Yeah, I'm not sure why Hispanic or Latino would bother anyone (though I know it does). I mean, it's not a negative slang term (like spic). If it's accurate, I don't know why it would be offensive. (I've asked people if they were Mediterranean and they were never offended - but some people will always find a reason to tap into the chip on their shoulder!)

Then again, I've make jokes to my colleague about showing me the maid's entrance to her Bernardsville house - otherwise the neighbors would think it very unseemly of me (if you know NJ, you know this is blue-blood territory and tiny cape cods starting at 900K. Anyhoo, it's just a joke and I have an incredibly dry/sarcastic sense of humor and I think stereotypes happen to be very funny and the laughing is truly at the expense of the ignorant for even engaging in silly blanket statements and assumptions over ENTIRE populations of people.

Josée Martens said...

I imagine you looking like Gaby from Desperate Housewives. LOL.

I am so excited for you. I was driving around yesterday and the radio had advertisements for egg donation for CCRM. She does sounds like a very proven donor. AWESOME

Jill said...

OMG! I'm so happy for you, Sky! This is fantastic news! Can't wait to hear your progress very soon!

Fwiw, I had a friend who had failed 5 IVFs. She turned to donor and got pg on first try. Expecting twin boys about a month before me! I hope for the same great story from you very soon!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad for you! June will be here before you know it. YAY! Your donor sounds like a fabulous producer. That sounds wierd, doesn't it. I am just so happy for you. Good luck the DS decision. All 3 sound hot. LOL!

Leah said...

No assvice, just loads of congratulations!!!!!

Anonymous said...

From my current perspective -- which is waiting to hear what our final numbers will be (probably somewhere at least 10-15 and maybe 15-20, either of which are just fine), I would be absolutely thrilled with your donor's last numbers. And it's making me realize I should have gotten more specifics on mine. I heard '2x proven donor' and that was enough for me. It's good to know exactly what that means, though.

You are well on your way, my dear. June will be here so soon. That's exactly what happened to me.

As far as the sperm donor... I would still lean towards physical matches there. And who cares if he's a total hottie? Sounds like you are too, so what the hell.

Glad to hear things are going well for you. You deserve it!

Sue said...

So is that what a normal 31 year old is supposed to get? 41 eggs? eeeek. I guess I really do have a problem! Though, from a donor standpoint, that is FABULOUS!!! What a great donor. And, I think your nurse is right, I am sure the (ahem) older women how are donors tend to be better patients. So, I think you made a great choice!!!

About the sperm - that part is so much easier. We use DS (for many reasons including MF and other genetic family issues, but I don't discuss it much). We have changed donors a number of times and this last time, did so purposely because the bank had more CMV negative donors all of a sudden, so we had bigger choices for once (I am CMV-) and we found one that looks like DH and is the same ancestry, which was rare. So, I know it is a hard decision, but is so much less work than finding good DE! Good luck! You are so on your way!

Anonymous said...

That is great - her numbers are stupendous. I just found out my 23yo donor has maybe 12 follies - retrieval is tomorrow so that isn't a final count but I have to say I am really sad. I was hoping for way more. So I think your "old lady" donor sounds terrific!

I'm sure in time it will become more obvious which sperm donor to use. Maybe give yourself a couple weeks to "not think about it", during which time you will notice one of the guys is the one you always think of as "the one"! Great that you have a little extra time. Good luck

Anonymous said...

Hey... just to clarify, I hope my comments on our respective blogs didn't make it sound like I was lamenting my donor's results vs. yours, etc. I'm just really confused right now as to what a 'good' result is. Jealousy sucks, I didn't mean to bring a vibe like that into the mix. Looking forward to see where you end up...! So exciting!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sky!

I found your blog Googling Susan Sarandon and Donor Eggs. Don't ask. I live in Colorado and see Dr. Surrey at CCRM as well. I am 42with one naturally conceived daugther at 39 (gave birth at 40) and have had 2 miscarriages since then, and 1 IVF treatment with 23 eggs retrieved, 15 fertilized, 4 tested by CGH -- all abnormal. Very disappointing.

I am considering donor eggs too. How long did you wait for a donor?

I will read more of you blog today. Why not, I only have two deadlines : )

Good luck with your transfer!

Lost in Space said...

So thrilled to read you have a match!! I am amazed at her numbers....seriously amazed!!

What a relief to have this part decided.

No assvice for figuring out your sperm donor....all sound like great choices to me! Good luck.

Kami said...

Yipee! The donor sounds great!