3/2/09

10 Honest Things....

I was tagged by the lovely yoga chick Sue. So I need to come up with ten honest things about myself (that preferably don’t put you all to sleep) ;)

1. I daydream a lot. For example, about the 3 million dollars NET I want to win in order to never work in Corporate America again. And about the 3 food items I would choose if my body would translate them into zero calories (Entemann's chocolate covered donuts - nuked for 25 seconds, with a huge glass of 1% COLD milk, pizza and Gorgonzola cheese).

2. I love winter with the same passion that I hate summer. I love single digit temperatures, the snow, the mountains and that dry, crisp air. My fertility clinic being in Colorado is especially nice - totally my kind of environment.

3. Animals were my first love. I would choose a trip to play with tiger cubs (or even to see pit vipers) over the hottest, most chic party in the city any day of the week.

4. I LOVE Hugh Laurie's character, House, and everyone tells me he would be the perfect man for me. Umm...that's probably not a compliment but, to me, it actually is. Sure, he's rough and damaged and harsh - but he's brutally honest (which I appreciate), brilliant and has impeccable integrity, at all cost. And it doesn't hurt that Hugh Laurie is totally HOT (conversely, I don't think the same of Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise).

5. I really like the smell of skunk! (haaaa! yes, it's true!)

6. The greatest punishment is to force me to watch Daytime TV for even one single day. I think I would suck down a cyanide pill before I could sit through a single episode of Judge Judy.

7. I had an intense fascination with mountains, particularly Everest. I've read epic tales from climbers and mapped out the various routes via Nepal and China. If I won that 3M bucks, I would plan a 2 month trek to base camp through the South over the next month - which is when all of the climbers start their trek to the 17,000 foot plateau where they set up outdoor living quarters while they venture up/down to various camp levels to acclimatize before making a summit attempt to 29,035 feet.

8. You've probably guessed by now but places like Paris, Vienna, London, Rome have no real appeal to me (though I've been to some of those destinations). I'd rather be on Kodiak Island watching bears, in Kenya listening to lion roars, skiing anywhere west or even on a remote beach on St. John (despite my hating the summer, I do enjoy a few days on a warm Caribbean beach taking in the sun - it's a destination for me, not somewhere I would enjoy living).

9. When I've watched snippets of that Nanny on TV coming into someone's house with kids who are kicking their parents and throwing shit across the room, I think - may the universe come to the rescue of a child of mine who thinks he/she will behave that way and not regret it ten-fold an instant later. Discipline is completely lacking in U.S. households and I see it in every grocery store, in every Target, every time. These are the kids we watch as teenagers with our mouths agape - at the horror of who they are. I wouldn't embark on having a child if that was my idea of parenting - to toss my hands up in the air. This is a difficult commitment for 20+ years of making sure I build a human being who is responsible, compassionate, independent, strong, principled and who has a sense of community and contribution. If I can't commit to that fully, then I have no business bringing another disaster into the world.

10. On a lighter note, I LOVE washing dishes. I mean LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! When I go to friend's houses, sometimes they'll leave me their dishes to do and it thrills me. They just laugh. My only requirement is kitchen gloves. I think it's therapeutic for me.

And because this inane shit tickles me pink, please leave comments on the 3 food items you would choose if your body would miraculously interpret them as zero calories (you can't just say cheese or cake - too broad - has to be a specific kind).

18 comments:

Retro Girl said...

Gosh - I love these "10 thing" posts...so with you on the Entemann's chocolate coated donuts - have you tried the Entemann's chocolate donuts coated in chocolate? Insanely delicious.

As for your #2 - move to Michigan. I spent most of yesterday bitching about the long winter we've had :-).

So, my 3 "zero calorie" foods...hmmm
1) German chocolate cake ice cream
2) buttermilk donut's from Dimo's
3) movie theater buttered popcorn

...I'm pretty hard core about my "bad" foods :-).

BTW - thank you for such a flattering comment about our latest pic...I showed Alex your comment - we then looked up the Journey guy on google images..Alex was a little less flattered than I was :-)...but agreed that there was no denying that his face shape was very similar...I asked him to break out his best "Don't Stop Believing" :-).

Jill M. said...

Interesting list! I would have to say you're the only person I've ever heard of that likes the smell of skunks!!! LOL

Single digit weather, brrrr! You sound very adventurous and fun.

My 3 zero calorie foods:
1. Anything and everything chocolate
2. Pepperoni pizza
3. Peanut butter cookies

Peeveme said...

Wanna come over for dinner?

Also, warm chocolate donuts? Good God that sounds like heaven!

Anonymous said...

I love Entemann's chocolate covered donuts!!! But not the chocolate ones covered with chocolate - I guess that is just too much for me! And I love House too, but you can have him (since I am a married gal!) Also you may wash my dishes ANYTIME.

My three things:
1. Hershey Nuggets (plain milk chocolate)
2. Papa Murphy's Garlic Chicken pizza (thin crust) - OMG.
3. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (with nuts of course)

Anonymous said...

Please come to my house. I have a pile of dishes just waiting for you.

Warm donuts and 1% milk... girl, you do know how to tease, don't you?

kayjay said...

Now everyone has me curious about these Entemann's chocolate donuts -where do you even buy them? Is there an Entemann's donut store somewhere? And why on earth do you not live in Canada?? We have cold weather and snow for many months of the year and if you live on the west side of the country, we even have mountains!! So my 3 zero calorie foods would be:
1) Fried chicken. I have always said that if you battered and fried just about anything, I would eat it but there is nothing better than good old fried chicken...the thicker the coating, the better!
2) French Fries and I love the Quebec version called Poutine where they sprinkle with cheese curds and smother the fries with gravy (sounds gross but don't knock it until you've tried it)
3) Cinnamon Chocolate Ganache layer cake (from last month's Fine Cooking Magazine). I made this for my nephew's birthday and it was heaven in a mouthful (along with a zillion calories)

Sky said...

Kayjay, in response to the Entemann's question, I don't know about Canada but in the U.S., they're available in any grocery store - in the Entemann's section.

RetroGirl digs the chocolate ones coated in chocolate - and they're good - but I really prefer the Entemann's yellow donuts coated in chocolate. Then you nuke them for about 30 seconds (until the chocolate looks wet) and have them with a tall glass of really cold 1% milk (I actually prefer taste of lesser fat milk).

OMG! It's sick how indulgent and yummy this is.

You guys have come up with some really really yummy stuff. I may even have to reconsider my own list (except for the Entemann's - nothing could ever top that)!

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to travel with you by the way! Thanks for sharing your scraps with me. I must say I do not agree with Skunks. Yucko. Or doing the dishes. But when i was reading..."Peace With Every Step"....they talked about doing the dishes mindfully. Anyway my top 3 foods are:

1). COMBOS ..cheddar cheese/crackers
2). Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
3). Tortilla chips...with a hint of lime and salsa.

Josée Martens said...

I loved!!! your honest scraps. Those were some of the most unexpected things. You are a rare gem. I mean someone has to love washing dishes, skunks, and single digit temperatures. I never thought I'd meet that special someone. LOL!

3 calorie free treats: bread, cheese, and italian cold cuts. hmmmmm.

Me said...

1.) The raw, organic goat cheese that's $30 a pound and made somewhere in the Norwegian part of the world... that I can't ever remember the name of.
2.) Macadamia nuts
3.) blueberry cake donuts from Buskin Bakery

Kami said...

I was going to tag you for this - always a bit late these days!

Thanks for your comments on my blog. My logical mind tells me to proceed with trying to get a full sibling to LB, but it is tempting to at least talk to the folks at CCRM. I would love to hear, "I don't think we could have done better." But they are probably as proud as my clinic and wouldn't admit that even if it were true.

I think my clinic has an excellent lab otherwise their under 35 / DE stats wouldn't be so good. That leaves me with how they stim. I had one top grade blast each cycle, sometimes with a second that was close. I need to stop looking behind me. It is simply crazy making.

Hey, good news for you . . things are moving right along.

Sue said...

I finally got around to checking in on everyone since my mom left. I absolutely love your 10 honest things - but you lost me in 2 places- the skunk thing and the dishes thing, lol, but you probably could have guessed that. Totally agree with you on House - I love strong, intelligent, direct men with integrity...plus I think he'd be fun to argue with (and I LOVE that, I know, I'm nuts).

I absolutely have to try the entemann's donuts in the microwave. I typically pretend not to notice the entemann's display at the grocery store but when I'm looking for yummy chocolate, I will know what to do!

Okay, my 3 foods (and they may change tomorrow, I can be moody) are:

1. molten lava cakes with Haagen Dasz vanilla bean ice cream
2. Goat cheese (LOVE IT- can add it to salty dishes, salads, red peppers, pasta, but can also make yummy desserts with it). Heaven.
3. Fried Dough (or funnel cakes, or zeppoli's, you get the idea).

Sue said...

Oh! I forgot to say, you wrote exactly what I've been thinking and what my DH and I have been talking about for years on #9. We laugh because our kid will be the only one with actual chores in the neighborhood (we have a ton of teens in the area and not one does a single thing around the house or in the yard- WTF? - oh yeah, and now 2 of them sell drugs from their house and a neighborhood kid is in rehab - guess the lax parenting style doesn't turn out the best or most responsible, huh?).

Jill said...

As usual-hysterical post! Loved it!

My 3 zero calorie foods...
1) Oreos (and milk of course)
2) Ice cream (best-some derivative of Reese's peanut butter cups and throw in a banana: HEAVEN!)
3) Chips, salsa, AND lots of yummy guacamole

DAVs said...

I love these things!

And I am an Entenmann's fan myself--of the chocolate donuts dipped in chocolate (like Retro Girl) We can't find them here anymore and it sucks.

My three foods:
1) Donuts as above
2) Wavy Gravy Ice Cream by Ben & Jerrys--but sadly it has gone to the graveyard. Before it was put there, my DH ordered six pints directly from the creamery shipped on dry ice. I wish I had made them last longer than, say, 3 weeks :)
3) Pizza. Particularly a veggie pizza (loads of bell peppers and onions) tons of extra sauce, and thick crust. Oh yes indeedio.

Josée Martens said...

You haven't posted in a week. hope you are ok.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am trying to find out IVF information for my stepdaughter's friend.
She has asked my daughter to donate eggs. The logic is it will be cheaper if the eggs are donated by someone the potential mother knows, so she will have more money for multiple tries at IVF. However, the procedure seems to have some grave health risks for the donor. In any case, my daughter has decided not to do it, but we have been asked to look for other "cheap" donors who we know and who might be ok candidates, as far as smarts and other unspoken qualities are concerned.
I am really in the dark as far as what the potential donor would have to go through but from what I read it doesn't sound pretty, and I really hesitate to ask any of my friends or relatives to do this for the proposed 5-10 k. It seems to me that the risk of future health problems are not worth it, and why wouldn't one adopt one of the thousands of children who need a home? This is the comment I have received from the few of my daughter's friends I have spoken with about this. I really am trying to understand the argument here before I tell the potential mother why I cannot find an egg donor. Thanks.

Sky said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for stopping by.

Let me correct the most erroneous assumption you have (that's shared by most). Please, please, please tell me where there are "thousands of children who need a home?"

I mean, technically, there are certainly millions (not thousands of children) who need a home but I can assure you that 99.9% of these children are not available for adoption (meaning, they simply live in horror and abject poverty all over the world but have parents who have not given up their rights to them). Of the minuscule number of children who are available for adoption, there is a ratio of probably 200:1 of parents wanting to adopt and children available for adoption. In short, that's why the wait is unbelievably long and arduous to adopt. Never mind the enormous expense (you think IVF is expensive?!), the scams and heartache along the way that in my opinion is actually more heart-wrenching than IVF.

Regarding health risks. Yes, there are certainly health risks for egg donors and I don't think any woman should go into it thinking it's a walk in the park. But, by and large, it's incredibly safe. I would equate it to the risks for anesthesia for a minor procedure in a state-of-the-art hospital. Could things go wrong? Sure, that's true when even taking a simple antibiotic - you could have a life-threatening allergy. But, egg donors are absolutely well cared for and protected and I dare say that in any reputable infertility center, their health is placed above the desires of the recipient every single time. I have heard of cycles stopped midstream for a number of reasons and the doctor's never bat a lash.

If I were 20 years younger, my apprehension of donating eggs would not be health risk concerns but rather the innate attachment to genetic offspring and if I could separate myself from that. I don't know that I could.

Good luck to your step-daughter's friend.