3/19/09

Just you and me, kid

I read a brief line from musicmakermomma post that read, "Weird to think that from here on out the DE part doesn't matter anymore, it is just like a regular IVF." Like me, she's doing a DE cycle but she's post retrieval now (Day 3). Stop by and wish her well if you have a minute. :)

I won't put words into her mouth about the context in which she meant it but it's an idea I've fantasized about and, for very selfish reasons, I can't wait to be POST-retrieval day. Here's the truth: I don't want her to be a part of it. I know, I know, I'm the girl who doesn't care about genetics - AND I DON'T! And though I feel so incredibly blessed and fortunate to have the opportunity (in every way) to use a donor and take this path, I still like not to think about that other person. On a very visceral level, I know this is something my body should have done all by itself and it sucks that I have to pay a clinic and donor BIG bucks to do it for me. So I guess the instant she's out of the way, I'll feel better - it'll just be the way it is in normal IVF - me and the embryos, mom and babies - an intimate relationship, without another person stealing my thunder, sharing my moment.

Of all the things to even think of, I know this is petty but it's how I feel. There are FEW times in our lives that the universe truly respects our unique and elevated position. Marriage is one day. The bride and groom are the focus - it's about them. No bride wants her mother-in-law to be the focus of the party, to have the grooms frequent attention, to come on the honeymoon cruise. I mean, it's a deeply poignant and special event between two people and their magic together.

I kind of feel similarly of the baby-making endeavor. Bad enough I have to have a fucking lab involved, dildo cams, bright hospital lights, speculums, doctors, nurses, embryologists and every other Tom, Dick & Harry that want to join in the "fun." But to have to have another woman as intimately involved with what will one-day be my baby is really tough to take. Hey, I'm sure I speak for every single IVF recipient (own eggs or not) that ART is NOT what any of us wished for.

So the sooner she's out of the picture, the more I'll feel like it's just about that little bundle-to-be and his/her mom, the way it should be.

(Note my contradictions. I LOVE egg donors who are good, responsible women who do this for more than the financial benefits. I think they're a special breed of angels. I couldn't thank this lady enough and if CCRM told me she was open to know me after retrieval, I would JUMP on it. What's more, if she were a good person, I would embrace a relationship with her as "aunt" Mary (or whomever) who comes over for birthdays, etc. I would LOVE my child to know her, and vice versa. It's just that until MY baby is born, I wish it could be between me and that baby-to-be and no one else!)

17 comments:

Riley said...

I'm completely with you on this one! I feel the same. Except I'm probably worse - I don't think I'd want to have my donor come visit and be "Aunt" whoever (unless, of course, she was a known donor and family member), so you are a better woman than me!

Lorraine said...

It must be hard to feel truly connected to the process until transfer... you can intellectualize it all day long, but (as they say in design school) theory is only the first level of practice. Once you are post-transfer it'll be completely different.

And, needless to say, once you are pregnant no one will be congratulating the egg donor and buying her teeny-tiny onesies - it'll be all you!

Peeveme said...

Yes, yes, yes. Understand completely. The hardest day is ER day when my Dh went there to inseminate her eggs. Really difficult. But once they were in me I was able to not think about her so much. I still do think about her a lot...and probably will the rest of my life since I will be telling my children. But the process did make me feel...jealous? left out? something like that. I imagine I will always feel that way on some level.

But it fades after the cycle is done. And I am so glad to be past all that.

Anonymous said...

I *totally* feel ya' on this one. Our donor was fantastic and made me feel that she was worth what we pa$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$d for her. And in spite of the amazing results we just heard from CC.RM, I still feel that twinge of jealousy. Pretty normal, if you ask me. You'll get there... and sooner than you think. Hang in there!

Josée Martens said...

I TOTALLY get it. It would be like the delivery truck waiting around after the delivery. The eggs are the focus. Let's get this show on the road! WOO HOO!

Anonymous said...

Sky,
Very well said. We are so grateful to have women who can donate their eggs to us. But at the same time you want this to be about your lil baby. I am confident that second after your ET you will bond with those embroyos! I am so looking forward to your cycle. YAY!!!

kayjay said...

I hear you, loud and clear on this one baby. Yes the donor is an incredible person and yes it takes a special kind of person to do this but the post retrieval story...that's all about you and I have crossed all of my fingers and toes for you. That time will come soon enough so hang on - it will be a wild ride!!

Polly Gamwich said...

I hadn't thought about this angle of DE ... but it TOTALLY makes sense. I look forward to the day you can say ba-bye to her involvement and get to incubating! (ok, unless you want Aunt Mary over for a visit, then I'll support that too ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout, glad something I said actually made sense (I AM on lots of drugs right now...)

I am in this weird time between retrieval and transfer, and although I am AWARE there was a donor, I have sort of forgotten about her part. NOT to belittle her role (thank god for donors!!). Tomorrow is probably transfer day and I feel kind of disconnected from the whole process - I think because of the last BFN. My guess is I would feel this way if I had used my own eggs. Of course there is no way of knowing for sure, but I don't think I'm going to "connect" until there is a BFP.

Best of luck getting to this point and beyond!

DAVs said...

This was such a well-written post--you articulate your feelings so well. It makes total sense--I can't wait til it's just you and those embies, snuggling down together!

DE Mommy said...

Thank god for this comment. I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way.

:-)

Lost in Space said...

I can completely understand these feelings - for different reasons and in different ways, but it is an issue weighing on me heavily right now....... Thanks for putting into words what I am not quite able to do yet.

Hoping your day is here so soon.

Sue said...

I totally get it! I think they are wonderful people to donate their eggs and I think the child will be no less yours than if it was your eggs being used (always believed that) but I'd be the same way. I would thank my lucky stars for the donor but I'd want to just think about me and MY baby during this cycle and pregnancy. But, I'd agree with Riley - and probably go a step further still - I'd probably be worse and not want to ever think about the donor again. Just me and my beautiful baby:-)

Me said...

I understand completely.

Retro Girl said...

Although I'm not in your position, I get this. And I agree with some of the others...you are pretty close to sainthood by being open to a relationship after the baby is born! It's all going to be here before you know it...just you and your embies.

Kami said...

I am right there with you! One of the reasons I wanted a known donor was to go through the first part of the cycle as much as I could and I am glad Belinda even let me be in the room when they were getting her eggs.

The funny thing is right after she was done I wanted her out of lives forever. Those feelings softened, but I understand how you are feeling.

Jill said...

Putting myself in your shoes, I can understand how you would be anxious to get to the part where it's about you and the baby. Totally get it and makes sense!