11/24/09

If I believed in the devil...

I would be convinced he invented the laminaria sticks. My heart truly goes out to women who've had multiple sticks inserted and I have an entirely new appreciation for the determination and tolerance to pain some women have. Clearly that's not me.

Got to C.CR.M at 7:30 AM and everything went quickly. Within 30 minutes I was fully prepped for surgery and had seen Dr. S.urr.ey and the anesthesiologist (whose name escapes me). The nurses were so sweet and gentle. Dr. S.urr.ey asked if I was able to tolerate the laminaria and I said "no, I was not able to tolerate it and it was very painful at times where I thought it's what labor pains must feel like but I did not remove the stick." He smiled "good then, that eliminates one concern of cervical incompetence in the future." At least my torture was for something!

Last night Me and I went out to dinner. She is really so witty and funny and super smart. We chatted up a storm and wished each other well.

Back to this morning, it's all a little blurry but this is what I recall. Being wheeled into the O.R., I said "hey, I'm really dizzy now" and was told they'd slipped a mickey into my I.V. and the next thing I remember is the anesthesiologist saying I'd be asleep very shortly and I said "how long until I'm asleep?" and he replied "about 8 seconds" and I said "well then, I'm going to fight it!" He smiled "oh yeah, well knock yourself out."

And then I woke up! :) Then things got more mentally bizzare.

Sky: "Where's L.ivi.e, how was her surgery? Is she okay?"

Nurse: "Who's L.ivi.e?"

Sky: "My Pekingese, where is she?"

Nurse: (smiles and looks at other nurse) "No, we're not performing surgery on pets yet"

Sky: (pensive, said nothing, tried to get my brain working)

Five minutes later I was about 99% perfect and embarrassed over it. Wow! What the hell was I thinking to believe my dog had surgery too?

About twenty minutes later, I saw Me whizz by post surgery and she seemed totally alert and we waved at one another. Cool! Then I had some crackers and juice and Mr. Me was such a super duper good egg and drove me to my hotel where a friend of mine arrived a bit later.

Everything post surgery was a piece of cake, as I expected it to be. I feel totally perfect except for some sleepiness so that's probably what I'll spend the day doing. Tomorrow I'm outta here with my friend and we head back to NJ for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of, wishing Me, her mister, their family and the rest of my wonderful IF buddies a great T-Day! Eat up! :)

6 comments:

onwardandsideways said...

Alright! Glad that is over (and covered 100%, yeah!) And also glad you managed to keep the laminaria in. Dr. S is right about the cervical incompetence thing, that's not something you'd want to add to the mix.

Rest up, my courageous friend! Wishing you a safe and speedy trip back home, and lovely, happy Thanksgiving. I'll lift my glass of sparkling grape juice in your honor!

:)

Sky said...

I'm sure you can't wait for the day you start toasting with Cosmopolitans! :)))

Eb said...

well done, that all sound really scary. enjoy your thanksgiving laminaria free.

Sue said...

I am so glad this is over for you! How great to spend time with Me and meet Mr. Me too!

I am always embarrassing when falling under or waking up from anesthesia. I remember a time when I was talking about the hot "pool boy" and finally really woke up explaining to the nurse that we didn't have a pool though. I still don't know what that was about...but I must've had some good dreams.

Onward! You are cleared for take off now????

Lorraine said...

In the big picture, worrying about your dog is more sweet than embarrassing. I am pretty sure they have heard some truly mortifying post-anesthesia ramblings.

Happy T to you too!

Me said...

Today on the way home my husband was asking why you were at CCRM... and so I started telling him your story... to which he responded "Whoa, whoa - why is she doing DE?" And I was like: "Well, she's in her 40s and..." and he interrupts me "NO WAY! I thought she was in her late 20s or early 30s". So yeah, tu eres una chica caliente!

*muah*