1/26/09

@#$%^&*()(*!

I just talked to my wonderful Gyn (who my old RE's office called a "top Gyn surgeon" btw). I'd called to brace him that I would be calling to set up the endometrial biopsy, etc. and I asked "is it going to be painful?" and do you know what he said? I mean, I expected the usual reassuring bullshit of "oh, just uncomfortable." But NOOOOOOOO! He said (emphatically and with much emotion in his voice) "YES, it's going to hurt like Hell!"

HOLY F***!

What led me to call him were all the comments on Stirrup Queen of the biopsy. OMG! Seriously, women there commonly refer to it as FAR worse than labor pains.

I even asked him "do women pass out?" and he said "oh, it's happened, I won't say it hasn't."

He recommended taking 4 Advils and even a Xanax.

Girls, what have I gotten myself into?

Anyway, he said "it's something you have to think about because you're the one going through the expense and going to Colorado for all of this." He said that sort of in support of doing it but agreed with Dr. Surrey that I didn't have much endometriosis based on the laprascopic surgery last September.

Ugh! I feel sick already.

I have my annual pap in two weeks (on 2/9) and I still haven't gotten my period but I am on Prometrium until tomorrow night. Can't wait to get my period and get moving forward.

5 comments:

kayjay said...

I had an endometrial biopsy done very recently and it did NOT HURT. I did it to check for the beta 3 integrin in my lining. I swear it did not hurt at all. I would describe it as just being unpleasant but not painful. I took a regular Tylenol painkiller (over the counter) as a precaution but I was not in excruciating pain when she took the tissue sample. It took longer to get the speculum in place and then she did the little suction to get the tissue and it was over in the space of about 5 minutes...10 tops. I don't have a high tolerance for pain either so I wouldn't put it down to being stoic either. I think that it varies by person...if you tolerate all the other IVF related things okay, you should be okay with this as well. Good luck!

Retro Girl said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this - good luck. I'm glad kayjay posted her experience for you...not that your's will or won't be the same, but I'm sure it is comforting to here a different, less painful experience.

Sky said...

Kayjay, thank you so much. I hate that I'm being a baby about this and don't think it escapes me that I brought all of this on myself - particularly the Google of reports of biopsies.

Regardless, I HAVE to do it - for my own sanity, if nothing else.

Big hug for helping me girls!

kayjay said...

Hey no problem! It sounded like you were really freaking out and it really wasn't that bad for me. I figure that they're taking a sample of the lining we shed every month during our period so how bad can it really be? I felt a scraping sensation for a few seconds and then that was that! Like I said, it took longer to get the speculum in place (hate that thing). It is worth it for the peace of mind and that is exactly why I did it too. You're not being a baby...it's only human to worry about pain. Hang in there and keep us posted on what happens. I hope it isn't that bad for you.

onwardandsideways said...

I'll have to check my records, but I'm 99% sure I had it done too and it was pretty much painless. I don't think I even took Tylenol. I hope that is the case for you... hang in there!

Man, all the testing sucks!