1/26/09

The Plan

I have my annual pap in 2 weeks, exactly. I'm going to ask my doctor if I can take the following before the endometrial biopsy:
  • 3 Advil gel caps
  • 2 Midol
  • 1 Xanax
  • 1 Martini
Okay, laugh all you want but I'm asking. When I have severe period cramps Advil doesn't do a lick for me but if it helps swelling, can't hurt. For me Midol is my magic bullet, for sure - works miracles. The Xanax will help my anxiety and I don't know about you guys but a Martini dulls pain. Aside from that I'll be on antibiotics, which won't do anything for the pain but I need to make sure there will be no contraindications.

I think if I take all of that, I should be zonked out enough that it'll hurt minimally.

The one thing I'm not going to do is cancel the biopsy because I am very very very bad with regret. I know several women who wear rose-colored glasses in life and they wouldn't do the biopsy and if they received a BFN, they would never believe it could possibly be a missing integrin that was the factor.

Personally, they live happier lives but I don't believe they're realistic lives. Regret is good - it's what teaches to do better/differently next time.

I REFUSE to spend 30K for a donor egg cycle to wind up with a BFN and always wonder if I had no integrin and that was the cause. I couldn't live with that - just like I've never stopped wondering if my chemical pregnancy (from donor embryos that came from a donor egg) was a result of my hydrosalpinx. I had my fallopian tubes removed to ever avoid that doubt in future and I think that was a radical approach.

I love you girls, truly, for dealing with my madness and being so nice about it. :)

7 comments:

Retro Girl said...

Yes, I would take everything you listed. Funny story - I was scared of the hysterosonogram, so I took about 4 Advil and drink about 1 and 1/2 (almost 2 glasses) of wine. I had someone drive me to the procedure, and lets just say that I was feeling GOOD by the time we got there (I'm a total light wait). The doctor questioned about why I was so "chipper and relaxed" and I came clean. She said, "Not that I really agree with mixing alcohol and pain relievers, but I think I may start recommend this to my other patients." I was relaxed, it didn't hurt, and we both got a laugh. Totally worth going against all the warnings on the back of that Advil bottle :-).

Peeveme said...

You and I share a similar perceptive. No rose colored glasses. Face reality. Do what is hard/painful so you have all the facts and can make the best decision. I'm hoping yours is not as painful as you are anticipating.

Josée Martens said...

I personally recommend the following for the biopsy.

1 valium
Lots of advil
1 shot of lidocaine to the cervix.

Love how sassy you are. :-)

Josée Martens said...

I already drank your martini. Sorry. I needed one bad today.

Sue said...

I missed your last post- I didn't know that this was supposed to hurt so much! Aren't they supposed to give you happy pills or laughing gas or something when they are planning to hurt you?

I agree- I would do this too. I don't think you are crazy at all. But I really really wish I could share a martini with you! A kettle one dirty martini with 2 olives:-) Be strong and take all the meds you are allowed...

Kami said...

Eeeek! I hope it is at least fast.

Me said...

I too live in reality and agree with you (especially @ the Xanax/Martini combo part).