1/16/09

Endometrial Biopsy Here I Come!

So I spoke with Dr. Surrey this week. I had a list of questions for him and he answered them all, quite fully.
  • Endometrial biopsy: From the post operative report of my laparoscopic surgery last September, he doesn't feel I had very much endometriosis at all and that I also did have a chemical pregnancy so I had some degree of implantation. Basically, his experience tells him I'm not missing the integrin but said it would be the only test that hasn't been done on my chart. So, I'm doing it - even though I'm scared shitless and I know I'll be a wreck, I'm going to do it. Furthermore, I'll be doing another mock cycle so my uterus is in the same hormonal place it would be when I later do the donor egg cycle. No biggie - I'm good with that.
  • Saline sonogram: He doesn't think I need it since everything checked out good during work-up in October and must have stressed it 3 times but because I still would feel more comfortable to do, he's fine with ordering it.
  • FDA Infectious Disease Testing of donor within 30 days of her retrieval. I wanted to be sure they do it the way it needs to be done so that I can donate all leftover embryos down the line. He assured me that's standard protocol, whether I was going to donate or not. Good.
  • Immune disorders, clotting disorders, etc. - he doesn't feel there is a need and that it's all very controversial in its relationship to fertility, or lack thereof. I let this one go.
  • CGH Testing on "proven" Donor Eggs: I asked if this would be worthwhile. His answer "absolutely not." I'm okay with not doing it and saving myself 5K unless he thought it could yield real benefit.
  • Vitrification: they don't use it on every cycle - only those with CGH testing. Reason being, this new freezing method is still being researched and though it looks promising, they don't have any long-term results - so, how would this affect embryo quality for thawing 3 years down the line. He said their FET's using the regular freezing method have worked well and they'll stick with that for the time being.
  • ICSI: They use it quite routinely on donor sperm, given they were frozen. :( I was hoping I'd get 2.5K back. Oh well.
  • My period. I haven't gotten it in probably 5 weeks, even though I'm usually a 24 day girl. He said, "no problem, we'll get you on Prometrium and you'll have a bleed at the end of that." Is it just me or is it a little tiny bit odd to talk with a man about your period?
And, finally, I asked if this was in any way going to mess with my spot on the donor waiting list. He, emphatically, said no. Whew! 'Cause that may actually have made me reconsider all of it, particularly that Dr. Surrey is not on the same page as me on needing the biopsy in the first place.

Seriously, WTF has EVER requested a biopsy?! Yeppers, silly me. I think I'll schedule the day off so I can recover afterward.

Ten minutes after the call ended, my awesome, sweet nurse called to get the ball rolling on calling in scripts and sending me a "kit" for the biopsy - I wonder what that's about?

Well, I did close by saying to my nurse "please tell me there's an influx of donors out there" and she said that yes, there was quite an increase and then I just asked, more bluntly, "please tell me I'll be matched soon, I'm almost a hundred for goodness sakes!" and she laughed, "it won't be too much longer."

I'll be happy if I'm matched in the next 6-8 weeks. Sooner and I'll do a cartwheel!

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

Ah, the "collect them all" approach! And why not? At least you know you've covered all your bases.

Good luck with the biopsy - maybe it won't be as bad as you think?

(I had to laugh out loud after I typed that - the verification word for my comment was "pullyze"! I hope that isn't some kind of cosmic sentiment.)

Sky said...

Holy shit, I DO KNOW it's going to be bad. I'm already terrified. Even my nurse was like "Huh? You ASKED for one?!"

I think I'm going to take 4 Advils and 2 Xanax's when I go in.

Yeah, that's right, I am. 'Cause it's just wrong to ask me to do this totally sober!

DAVs said...

Ha, I laughed about you talking about your period with a dude. Yes, it's always weird to me, even when that dude is a doctor.

I hope everything continues to go well!

Josée Martens said...

Sky, I didn't think my biopsy was so bad but my doc did a couple things that helped. I had to get it for the beta integrin too.

a valium
ibuprofen
a shot of lidocaine to the cervix

rooting for you!

Retro Girl said...

Good luck with the biopsy. I agree - about the period talk with a guy thing. But at least it was Dr. Surrey...I like him - for the most part :-).

Also, best of luck for a match soon!

Jill said...

Oh-glad you made this decision Sky. And, as I said before, I didn't think it was too bad. Just a drop in the proverbial bucket, right?

Good luck, hon!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog from The Other Side. I am hoping to start my 2nd DE cycle in March. It took the people at my clinic almost a YEAR to match us the first time, but they have assured me we will get matched for this next cycle. Supposedly I get the call Friday (everything crossed - they only match donors once every 8 weeks). I will be hoping you get a match by then too - good luck!