12/10/08

How old is too old?


http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/pregnant-at-70/?hp

Yes, I'm going to say it: 70 is TOO DAMNED OLD to birth/parent a child. I know there are hundreds of women out there squirming uncomfortably in their chairs right now about their own advancing ages who are primed to use donor eggs and politically correct groups that'll feed us the philosophical arguments. I can hear it already: No mother can guarantee being alive to raise her child or Little children lose their mothers to car accidents and cancer often enough and Many women live to be 98 years old. Blah, blah, blah. Such intellectually insulting justifications. Honestly, how do god-fearing people outside government politics even keep a straight face and utter that bile and not fear being struck by a lightning bolt straight from Heaven!

Listen, it's too old, you hear me? Yeah, it's too too too old. It's not even on the margin of the margin. It's not even worth analyzing.

So, you're thinking, well what's the magical age then Miss Smarty Pants - when does my pursuit of having a baby die? How about this for a benchmark: 52. Firstly, that's more generous than most fertility clinics allow but because it's around the time when most women's bodies "officially" shut down human reproduction, it's a pretty good sign from nature that it's over - that it's SUPPOSED to be over. One could argue 46, as natural pregnancies at that age and beyond are more rare than winning the jackpot lottery, but I'm thinking that the average woman still has a period for several more years and the possibility of a miracle does exist so, just to be on the safe side.....

Hey, it's a blessing when a grandparent is able to take over and successfully raise grandchildren when tragic circumstances dictate but it's FAR from optimal and let's not pretend otherwise. Every child should be born with a reasonable expectation that their mom will be alive until they're emancipated, if not longer. A 70 year old cannot provide that reasonable expectation. Worse still, what her very very advanced age does provide is a strong potential that child will be burdened by an illness or injury that befalls her.

Fortunately for us egg-seeking-ladies, these bizarre news stories are rare because, make no mistake about it, this is how the slippery slope begins. The result is that one day average citizens will decide to pressure law makers into putting a stop to the abuse of science and medicine and do you know what happens then? The pendulum swings wildly in the other direction and 32 year old's with premature ovarian failure will find themselves having to "pass" rigorous medical screening, genetic testing, a homestudy and a "morality" panel for the opportunity to get on a 5 year waiting list for a single egg!

Shame on you Rajo Devi.

6 comments:

Miss Tori said...

Amen, sister! Too damn old, I say.

A said...

I agree 100%, and love that they don't mention the whole donor egg part. There's NO WAY they could have used her own eggs. I have pictures of raisins in my head...

Peeveme said...

YES! These outliers totally confuse the public about infertility. And yes, stricter regulations can be an outcome of these insane stories. Ans yes, I also question the ability of a 70 year old to parent a child. Shoot, my parents are in the in early 70's and they can only handle baby sitting for a few hours at a time.

OH yea....and the fact that they do not mention the likelihood of donor eggs makes me crazy.

Lisa said...

UGH! I agree. That really IS too old. AND SOOOOOOO NOT FAIR!!! How on earth does it even work for someone that old and not for so many younger women who are struggling month after month. Jeez, if you don't feel bad enough already. How about the pregnant guy! I want to scream at the TV whenever I see him on there. AS IF!

PVED said...

I agree - 70 is way too old. I wrote my own rant here about that:
http://tpvedo.blogspot.com/

Our kids didn't sign up to parent their own aged children, make decisions about long-term care, our kids need to be kids which means not having children in your 60's or 70's.

I know lots of mom's in their 50's who have had children then, and I am not sure how I feel about that.

I was 38 when my son was born, and I thought I was really old having him then.

Kami said...

I right there with you too. It is selfish and irresponsible. If the time came that we could expect to live to 120 I would change my mind, but she won't be around for her kid.

I worry about being around long enough for LB and she has 30 years on me.