12/6/08

Waiting for a donor (in tough economic times)

I'll preface this by saying I am FAR from an elitist. I value integrity, personal responsibility and working your fingers to the bone and, for the most part, it's worked for me.

But WTF is up with the donor wait at CCRM. And before you send me Psychiatric referrals because I can't make up my mind between "do I want this" and "I want it more than anything," please know that I frustrate myself on this more than I could frustrate anyone else. I attribute any ambivalence to what I believe are normal feelings of fear to be a SMC in my forties. But now I'm just wondering when it will be my turn?

Yesterday, a woman on maternity leave came into the office with her twins (yes, IVF). I held the little girl and if I'd have thought I could have reached Canada in time, I would have stolen her (kidding!). But she was so precious. She was about 8 lbs. and cute as a button. The boy looked much more intimidating to hold - he was like 11 lbs. I just fell in love with her and her tiny self. Then I had to give her back! :(

I thought, yeah, CCRM said "6-9 months" donor wait on the record (off the record it's usually much sooner) but I'd hoped I'd have a relatively similar wait as did the lovely Wifethereof - 23 days from being on CCRM's "list" to receiving her donor profile.

Disclaimer: I know this is not a politically correct thing to say and I'm not exactly proud of it but here goes ('cause it's what I really have thought). That with the horrendous economic situation, the stock market plummet (my poor 401K), the credit slow down and frugal times, the volume of couples doing a donor egg cycle would slow down and the pool of donors might increase. Besides which, CCRM said they'd hired a new person to focus exclusively on the donor pool so that can get rolling more quickly.

With all that, I thought I could see a donor profile by Thanksgiving. Didn't happen. I'm more than a little bummed. Serves me right for being overly confident (so not my nature!).

I'm ready. I know it now more than ever.

But all in good time, I guess. And if I'm in the delivery room this time next year with a healthy little munchkin, I can wait - and continue to be extremely grateful for the wonderful opportunities I have that others don't.

4 comments:

Peeveme said...

I thought the see as you but my RE's office is just as swamped as always. Also, while I have heard around (second hand retelling of a news story) that inquiries from potential donors are up That screening process takes months so that bump in polls would not be seen for months.
Sorry you have to wait so long. I hope you get to be one of those who has some luck with a truncated wait time.

Me said...

PC or not, I am inclined to agree with you about anticipating things moving more quickly for you given the economic situation.

Lisa said...

Oh man, that wait sounds brutal!!! I really hope that you find a donor soon and can get started. there is nothing worse than being in limbo. Why is everything always such a waiting game??

Sky said...

I'm obviously lucky to have ladies visit my blog who are either appreciate my non-PC honesty or they can't wait to see me crash and burn because of it (hang on girls, that might just happen! :)

hee hee - seriously, I feel extremely grateful for you all.

Yeah, this wait BITES!