12/7/08

Visualization

I'm not into what I call "kooky stuff." It's clear that the supernatural has very little room in my life. Hey, I think it's wonderful if it acts as a stress reliever to others and brings peace to their psyche because that can only be beneficial. But I'm too much a critical thinker, too analytical, too evidence-based.

So it might surprise you to learn I used acupuncture and visualization during my fertility efforts. During my abysmal-failure-IVF-turned-IUI-BFN cycle, I just did some acupuncture. I'd hoped it would relax me. Actually, I think a massage is FAR more relaxing. But there are actually a lot of RE's out there that give some credit to acupuncuture to increase blood flow to the uterus, which is a good thing. CCRM actually recommends it if they see limited blood flow in your uterus during the 1-day work-up. My uterus performed fine so it wasn't recommended for me.

But during my donor embryo FET in July, I had a really really strong sense that it would work (stupid me!). After all, the embryos came from a 27-year-old egg donor and the original cycle resulted in a pregnancy with 4 blasts in the freezer.

Well, I didn't feel quite so hot when the first 2 blasts thawed died and they had to thaw the last two. In my heart, I think the freezing mechanism at my old RE's (done before 2005) wasn't so hot and probably caused a lot of cell damage during the freeze/thaw - but that's just my take.

Anyway, when that cycle began I thought heck, I need something to look at every day that represents the end product and I bought the cutest pair of booties (actually, 2 pairs on a cardboard pack). I taped them to my kitchen upper cabinet and every day as I would fill the Lupron syringe or later the Progesterone monster shot, I would touch them and smile.

Yeah, I had a chemical pregnancy but I really loved the way those booties made me feel. I still have them and I really believe they'll be worn by my child next Christmas.

Now is that positive thinking, or what?!

3 comments:

A said...

I'm impressed with the optimism! I had to take down all of our friend/family baby pics off our fridge while I was cycling. Way too depressing to look at.
Gotta love the CCRM optimism tho, it rocks.

Sky said...

You know, my nature is to be cautious. When good news and bad news is coming, I want the bad news first and give it to me twice. I am NOT a Polyanna and I do very badly with that type of person.

I believe this optimism is EXCLUSIVELY about doing a donor egg cycle at CCRM. I remember Dr. Surrey saying "if the donor is truly an anonymous one" (meaning not a family member who may be young but who isn't their optimal candidate) "our numbers are actually closer to 90% pregnancy" and just a couple of points lower take-home baby.

And I'm not generally inclined to believe I'll be the 1 in 10 whose donor produced awful eggs. Or gosh I really really hope not. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sky - You are at a great center, it's one of the best in the country. Your optimism is amazing, I want you to hang in there. If you need extra support, you can always come to PVED and hang out with us:)

You are in great hands, and I am cheering you along the way!