6/8/09

Gift/Note to Egg Donor

So, I decided to ship the egg donor's gift out this week because I don't plan to be in Denver until the day after her retrieval. This way, the nurse will give her the gift.

I packed a cute pink pajama short set, pink slippers and ankle socks and a gift certificate for a spa massage. It was wrapped beautifully in a printed box with a huge blue ribbon.

The hard part was the note. I mean, if she were someone I knew who'd done this once - to help me - of course it would have been easier. But this is an anonymous donor who has donated 3 times prior. I feel silly - like she'll read the note and think, yeah, yeah, yeah, this precious gift I'm giving you, yeah, I get it already, I get it!

So I thanked her and there was some emotion and I reminded her that what she's given will last me my entire life - a daily reminder etched into my heart and a mark on the planet for which I am profoundly grateful. And I wished her a quick recovery.
______________________________

Just got a call from my nurse. My donor had her suppression check today and starts stims on Wednesday. Approximately 10-11 days later will be the retrieval.

So, I'm going to book a flight to Denver on June 20th! EEK!

11 comments:

onwardandsideways said...

Wow, this is coming up fast... June 20th is like, tomorrow, practically. Youpee!

Love your new background. And the gift sounds awesome.

I wrote my donor's letter in my head so many times. Ended up having to finalize it the night before. In retrospect, I think I said enough. I told her why she was chosen, a little about us. And lots of thanks at the end. From what I've read, these donors DO appreciate even a small note. Some IPs do not do the letter and I think that would kind of hurt me if I was a donor. But I can understand why people would not do a letter too.

So glad to see things moving forward. Very excited for you, m'dear!

Nikki said...

Yay - it's happening, it's happening!

I'm sure your donor will appreciate the gift and the gesture - whether she's a one time donor or a multiple time one.

Good luck!!

kayjay said...

Yay! You're moving forward and now you have a date! I'm sure that your donor would appreciate the note and the gifts you sent to her...it's so thoughtful of you to do that. Now the count down begins!!

DAVs said...

That sounds like a lovely gift. And your note sounds beautiful too. I know she'll appreciate it, regardless of her previous 'donations.'
Things are moving now!

Me said...

I haven't posted this on my blog but I'm going to be at CCRM for my one day work up on June 19. What time doth your flight land on the 20th? ;)

Lorraine said...

This is it! Hope that comfy couch serves you well for one of those glowy uneventful pregnancies!

Sky said...

Thank you all so much. Where would I be without my IF blogger ladies, truly?!

Sharing this time with women who know EXACTLY what a blast means and why an FSH of 22 at 42 really does mean an egg donor was the only choice and that there is no such thing as "just adopt" - that it's a greuling process filled with enormous stresses of its own (never mind exponentially more difficult for a single woman) - there is no better audience than ladies who understand first hand.

So, again, thank you - I just love you all!

Retro Girl said...

Nice gift - I'm sure she will appreciate it. June 20th is so close! I'm sure booking the flight makes it even more real. Can't wait for the updates!

Sue said...

That is such a cute gift! makes me want to go out and buy a cute PJ set! OK, so anything can make me want to go out and shop, but still! Your note sounds perfect and I am SO EXCITED for you! It is getting so close - we will be due within less than a month of each other:-)

Riley said...

What a wonderful gift - I am so sure she will appreciate both the gift and your thoughtful note. I need to start thinking about a gift and note for my donor next month. Wow - how exciting - I know it feels like you've been waiting forever for this time to come - I can't believe it got here so fast. June 20 will be here in no time. I am so excited for you - woo hoo!!

Kami said...

Wow! All this waiting and then . . . boom, it's right around the corner.

Ok, please explain the gift to the egg donor. I don't get it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but why do egg donors get paid a shit load AND get a gift and sperm donors get neither.

And because I think you and I kind of similar, I am interested in your thoughts because I am convinced I wouldn't have given a gift to an anonymous egg donor.