6/22/09

Today: Day Zero (aka Retrieval Day)

And guess what news CCRM gives you on retrieval day?

Nothing.
Nada.
Zilch.
Zero.
Nichts.
Niente.
Rien.

Yes, that's right - I got no fucking news today ON RETRIEVAL DAY!

So I eventually just told myself that no news is good news and that if my donor had, somehow, triggered an hour early by mistake (leaving her with no follicles this morning), that I would have been called - probably by a doctor, that's how serious that would be (yeah, I heard it happen once).

I'm not a mess though - thankfully - but I really wish I'd have been told something.

So tomorrow I'm supposed to get "the call" from the embryologist. Tomorrow I'll learn what the follicle count was, how many mature eggs, how many fertilized and how many are moving on into embryo-dom.

I think my nurse wants to see some elation in me - some really obvious happiness and every time she makes a comment (verbal or via email), I know she probably wonders why I'm still not overjoyed. Today she asked "are you over the moon?" and I thought, are you kidding me? Why? Not yet! I have zero information on retrieval day - that doesn't exactly elicit "excitement" from me, rather some worry.

Anyway, there is no real way she's going to understand my north east coast brain. The kind of elation she wants to see probably isn't going to happen until there is an ultrasound with a kick-ass healthy baby on the screen. Well, it's true that I'll be super duper happy and excited if I get a great report on transfer day (of the ones coming "home" and the ones left) but even that will be tempered with some anxiety.

What can I say, I'm a little neurotic that way.

5 comments:

Peeveme said...

No Er report? Booooo!

Yea, my nurse were always more excited than I was....and I felt pressure to feign excitement but why would I get excited for a trigger shot? We vets know better.

I will be checking in to get your update. Hope the wait isn't too awful.

onwardandsideways said...

Well, from my experience with these folks... you're better off getting the call from the embryologist. And I suspect that's why you didn't get any info today. They really don't like to release any info until it's written in stone. We did get info prior to retrieval and on retrieval, but it was not exact. It was only when we heard from the embryologist that we really knew what was going on. So that lead to a bit of confusion right around retrieval/transfer that you're better off without, IMO. Sucks to not have the info, but I am sure you'll get the call tomorrow.

I have a feeling it's going to be very good news!

:)

Me said...

"north east coast brain"

LMAO. I'm not from the east cost but I should be. I totally get ya sister.

Sue said...

I was also giggling at the North East Coast brain! I totally understand. How can you be happy with no information? Noone with half a brain would be happy with no information! I hope embryology calls you early to give you the good news so you worry less:-)

Riley said...

That stinks - I can't believe they don't tell you anything on retrieval day! That would drive me insane! Glad to hear you are not a complete mess- I would be. Hopefully, you'll get great news from the embryologist and be a tad excited - but I so know how we don't like to get our hopes up too much when there are some many hurdles that have to be crossed. Can't wait to get an update.