6/27/09

I transferred ONE

I don't even know how to feel about that right now but when I sat there faced with the facts of this cycle, it really swayed me hard in that direction. This was the first time I met Dr. Gustofson and he was really very nice.

The embryos:

4-4AA
3-4BA
1-3AB
1-3BA
1-2/3

So, that means that TODAY, they will freeze the 9 remainning.

BUT there is still another 20 - yeah, you heard that right - 20 they'll follow until tomorrow and the embryologist suspected there would be about another 10 to freeze tomorrow.

The most persuasive and DECIDING fact I learned today is this: CCRM now vitrifies all frozen embies EXCLUSIVELY. In the past, this highly successful medium was reserved only for CGH tested embryos.

So, the vitrification fact means that in the event this was a stupid decision on my part and I have to return for a FET (Gasp! Hate the thought!), the success rate for a two embryo transfer at that time would be 80% (vs. 85%). So that's barely diminished odds. And, ultimately, I was willing to take 'em. Had vitrification not been adopted as the standard freezing method, I would have two on board right now - for sure!

In 9 days, we'll see how much I'll be kicking my ass (or not) for this decision. But in my case, thanks to the POAS mania I'll soon face, I'll know whether the ass-kicking is warranted by end of next week. My beta is for 7/6.

I'm a little woozy after the valium but it took forever to kick in. My bladder was crying when they did the transfer and I was so humiliated to use the bed pan 15 minutes later but not so much that I didn't fill it and thank them. Funny how I'm so used to spreading 'em with several people in the room watching that it doesn't even make me bat a lash. Now peeing in a pan - horrified! But I felt remarkably better.

I'd say the vitrification was the clincher for me. I had no intention on submmitting to a FET with success rates of 52% for a 2 embryo tranfer vs. an 85% on the fresh. Though I did accept a 60% chance of success with the SET.

Ugh! I'm going to second-guess this one quite a bit. I only hope it works and then I can just smile at the good fortune I had - without ever having to deal with a twin pregnancy I am not ready or equipped for.

Now it's off to eat in bed. :)))

7 comments:

Eb said...

Whoo hoo
congratulations on the mother load of frozen embies and on transferring on perfect little chap or chapess.

Eat and be merry in bed! Wait, that sounds weird. You know what I mean
EB

onwardandsideways said...

I really think you did the right thing. I think your chances of success are really high and I completely agree: twin pregnancy = ugh. It's not for everyone and invites a lot of additional complications and worries that you don't need.

I cannot believe how well your donor did. Rockstar! I bet you will have more than 9 to freeze and that is really good, as you said.

God, I had totally forgotten about the bedpan part. I *hated* that. I could barely get anything out for some reason, the angle was all wrong. So they let me off the table a little early so I could get some relief. I also tried to do acupuncture afterwards and that with the bladder near bursting (on top of my 'hey, guess what, you've only got a 65% chance, actually!') was pretty torturous.

Can you believe you're here? Seems like just yesterday you were so frustrated with the waiting... but time does fly.

I am holding very good thoughts for you in the next few days. I do have a very good feeling about this for you and I cannot wait to hear more news!

Take good care of yourself and thank god for room service!

elliej said...

Delurking to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! Those are beautiful numbers - and just amazing to think that they will be augmented tomorrow. Trust your instincts; and also from everything I hear Dr G rocks, so I would be very happy having his advice too. Enjoy the bedrest xxx

Me said...

I think you did the right thing. And in the unlikely event that it doesn't work, well, $6K for a FET is a lot less than the cost of SR (or daycare for two).

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

DAVs said...

YAY! I'm so glad you have so many embies and so many that look so good. Of course all my hopes are pinned on the one in your uterus RIGHT NOW. Good luck and enjoy resting!

Lorraine said...

Good going! It makes sense given the better odds - and the risk of two is not something to take lightly...

Can't wait for the beta!

Jill M. said...

Hi Sky, I've been catching up on your progress over the last few days and have added you back to my blog roll now that I see you've gone back to public. So wow, looks like you've been busy and have had a great cycle so far!

I'm with you on the eSET! Do not want twins, but scared to death of none. Such a hard decision. Good for you for sticking to your decision to transfer one! Can't wait to see your BFP!